Dutch spiced layer cake.
- Whip the butter until light and fluffy.
- Whisk the egg yolks and whites together with the sugar and vanilla extract .
- Add the flour, fold through gently.
- Add the whipped butter, mix.
- Divide the batter over two bowls. Add the spices to one of the bowls, then mix.
- Preheat the oven to 300 F.
- Prepare a spring form with butter and flour.
- Spoon ½ cup of the unspiced batter into the form and let it spread.
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Spoon ½ cup of the spiced batter on top of the first layer and let it spread.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Place after every 4 layers a piece of baking paper on top and use the round side of a spoon to rub the cake firmly. Remove the baking paper and brush the cake with a little butter.
- Repeat this until both the batters are finished.
- Leave to cool in the form.
Spekkoek is a cake that can be stored for at least a week , when wrapped securely. Cut thin slices and serve with with some whipped or clotted cream. Pair with some enriched wine (tawny port preferred) or pour some strong coffee.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Dutch
Keywords: Dutch, Dutch-Indonesian, layer cake, spiced cake, spekkoek